[CentOS] Re: Please help! boot problem

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon May 1 19:59:48 UTC 2006

Mace Eliason spake the following on 5/1/2006 1:51 PM:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>> Mace Eliason spake the following on 5/1/2006 1:27 PM:

>>> Okay to clarify
>>>
>>> I have only hooked up the drive that is not bootable.  The drive that is
>>> bootable has been disconnected.
>>>
>>> If I run sfdisk on the nonbootable drive I get
>>> /dev/sda1  (id fd linux raid autodetect) marked * for boot
>>> /dev/sda2   "   "
>>> /dev/sda3   "   "
>>>
>>> So yes it is software raid am I right.  The system has been running off
>>> this drive for almost a month, until someone rebooted the server.
>>>
>>> Should I have both drives installed when I run the linux rescue?  I know
>>> the one drive will boot now that I fixed it but the info on it is amost
>>> a month old.  I really need the info from the drive that is not
>>> bootable.  Last time I tried to boot with both drives installed it
>>> didn't it gave a no boot partition error.
>>>
>>> Does linux automatically rebuild the raid when it boot?  If I do get
>>> them to boot with the good drive I don't want it to over write the
>>> current drive.
>>>
>>> Thanks  you have been alot of help so far.
>>>

>> Then the other drives partition table has been changed. You will need
>> to have
>> both drives in to repair the system. If you just want to get booting,
>> you can
>> swap the drives scsi id's so the good drive is the lower numbered
>> drive. Then
>> you can use the rescue disk to get the system running.
>> After you boot with both drives in with the rescue cd, try the option
>> to look
>> for linux systems. Make sure that you see both drives, and lets see the
>> partition info from both, again just to be safe.
>> I don't want to give you some commands that will cause damage.
>>

> As it is if I hook up both drives and not change the scsi ids it won't
> boot.  It won't even boot from cd either.  Says missing partition boot
> sector.
>
> Mace
You will have to make sure that both drives and the cdrom if it is scsi have
different id's.
To boot from cd with the drives in might need you to go into the bios option
and change the boot order.
The system must let you boot from cd with both drives in, or you wouldn't have
been able to install it in the first place.

To fix this, you will have to get both drives in and be able to boot from the
rescue disk.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and