[CentOS] Rebuilding Raid 1

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Mon May 1 22:21:55 UTC 2006

You can replace the boot loader as follows:

1)Boot in REscue mode, and get a command prompt
2)Run grub, if your two disks are for example /dev/hda and /dev/hdb and
the boot partition is the first on each:
          grub> root (hd0)
          grub> setup (hd0,0)
          grub>root (hd1)
          grub>setup (hd1,0)
          grub>exit

This will put a stage1 boot loader on each disk, you should be able to
boot the originally non-bootable disk now.  Make sure you boot in the
bios from the second disk, (which I presume is the one you want to
keep), to make sure you could disconnect the original drive first and
boot the system to try it.

You might find this article useful.

If the first disk has now been fixed but contains no data, you can
export the partition table from the second disk using sfdisk, and
re-import it on the first hard disk using sfdisk again, you can then use
mdadm to hot add the first (replaced) disk to the second (running and
now bootable) disk.

Regards

Pete