[CentOS] Slashdot: Building A Web-And Mail Server With CentOS 4.3

Tue May 2 11:59:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 11:57 -0700, Mike Stankovic wrote:
> I may not agree with everything they say, such as
> ISPConfig (I prefer webmin) but this tutorial offers a
> "step by step opportunity for newbies". Does this
> indicate that CentOS is now a "mainstream" distro?
> (Technically speaking its not CentOS 4.3 but CentOS 4
> Update 3 but we are not into semantics).
>
> Article on Slash :-
> http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/05/01/1049254.shtml
> Howto itself :- http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos_4.3

CentOS is definitely a "manistream" .... why do I say that:

1.  Finished 2nd in the 2005 Linux Journal Readers' Choice Awards
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8520

2.  In the top 8 distros for Linux Web servers on the net:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/12/05/strong_growth_for_debian.html

3.  Sun is using us for BrandZ in OpenSolaris (which will become SCLA in
Solaris):
http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=111

4.  Look at our traffic on alexa.com ... and compare it to distros like
slackware.com, mandriva.com, ubuntulinux.org, mepis.org,
damnsmalllinux.org, knoppix.org, etc.
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=centos.org

5.  We had 87,726 unique IP addresses request updates at
mirror.centos.org in the 7 days (920,812 unique hosts since September
2005 have requested updates) ... and we also have more than 100 external
mirrors that serve updates, if people are using those, we don't even see
the stats.

6.  We stay in the top 20 at distrowatch.com ... and usually move into
the top 10 after major updates.

CentOS is very much a "mainstream" distro.