[CentOS] Migrate from RHAS 4 to CentOS 4.2

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Tue May 2 20:35:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 16:28 -0400, Jason Dixon wrote:
> I have a SGI Altix 350 (ia64) that came with RHAS 4, but without any
> paid support.  I would like to migrate the server over to CentOS.
> Here is what I've pieced together from some older posts by Johnny,
> can someone confirm this should work?  I know this is somewhat
> covered in the FAQ, although both entries refer to FC or WBEL, which
> already have built-in yum support.
>
> Install the following files:
> http://vault.centos.org/4.2/os/ia64/CentOS/RPMS/
> yum-2.4.0-1.centos4.noarch.rpm
> http://vault.centos.org/4.2/os/ia64/CentOS/RPMS/centos-
> release-4-2.1.ia64.rpm
> http://vault.centos.org/4.2/os/ia64/CentOS/RPMS/centos-
> yumconf-4-4.3.noarch.rpm
>
> Edit /etc/yum.conf and perform a "yum update".
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Jason Dixon
> DixonGroup Consulting
> <snip sig stuff>

Wouldn't it be better to to a brand new install since all the components
have been recompiled for CentOS? The fact that things may be binary
compatible doesn't address the unexpected gotchas when some minor
revision of some critical library that has an unexpected side-effect ...

That is, support would be easier and cleaner?

HTH
--
Bill