[CentOS] cdrecord issues [SOLVED]

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed May 3 12:36:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 02:41 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > > I am certainly no expert at cdrecord .. but I would drop the "-isosize".
> > > Also, you may be able to use dev=</dev/devicename> as well.
> > ----
> > # cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdc speed=4 \
> > '/home/Linux/CentOS-4/CentOS-4.2-i386-bin4of4.iso'
> > cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> > cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
> > cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
> > defaults.
> > cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
> > Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
> > Schilling
> > Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
> > Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
> > Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
> > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
> > Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in
> > this version.
> > TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> > scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
> > devname: '/dev/hdc'
> > scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> > cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/hdc'. Cannot open
> > SCSI driver.
> > cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
> > cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
> >
> > I am sure that I didn't have this problem before (perhaps something
> > CentOS 4.1 but I have upgraded a number of times).
> >

> I just use K3B to do all my recording now with CentOS-4 ... GUI will be
> the death of us all ... :)
>
> But I remember something about the 2.6 kernel and use of the ATAPI
> target being required instead of the old IDE-SCSI method when using
> cdrecord.
>
> I don't remember the particulars, but google might.
----
I started with google and knew that I didn't want to try passing kernel
parameters like hdc=ide-scsi and couldn't find it but wasn't sure where
to go with it.

Turns out... dev=ATAPI:0,0,0

was the answer. Added it to both /etc/webmin/burner/config and
to /etc/cdrecord.conf to be safe but from cli, I only needed to pass the
dev as above, once addded to /etc/cdrecord.conf, I didn't need to bother
and in webmin's config, it works fine.

Thanks all

Craig