[CentOS] Re: Rebuilding Raid 1

Mace Eliason meliason at shaw.ca
Wed May 3 17:53:46 UTC 2006

Thanks to all that helped me out with this.  I finished at 7am just in
time to take the sever back at 8:30

I would have been done sooner but I tried the complete copy from one
drive to the other as you suggested, but I got them backwards,
I ended up copying  What was on the replacement drive over the the
current drive.  Luckally the bad drive still had the info on it and was
working.  So I started all over again.

I can swap and create drives like the back of my hand. lol

Something that really helped me out was this

"Prepping the System in Case of Drive Failure

1st is to backup the drive partition tables and is rather simple command:

#sfdisk -d /dev/sda > /raidinfo/partitions.sda
#sfdisk -d /dev/sdb > /raidinfo/partitions.sdb

Do this for all your drives that you have in the system and then you
have backup configuration files of your drive's partitions and when you
have a new drive to replace a previous drive it is very easy to load the
partition table on the new drive with command:

#sfdisk /dev/sda < /raidinfo/partitions.sda                 (make sure
you get the drives right)

This partitions the new drive with the exact same partition table that
was there before and makes all the rebuild and raid partitions all in
the exact same place so that you don't have to edit any raid
configuration files at all. "

I found this info here:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-July/008898.html

That really made creating things easier.

Also running cat /proc/mdstat to find out which drives are active

Thanks again.

Mace