[CentOS] differences between yum update and yum check-update

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Thu May 4 19:43:54 UTC 2006

Johnny Hughes wrote on Thu, 04 May 2006 13:57:10 -0500:

> I think it should be:
>
> (for kbs)
> protect=1
>
> and
>
> (for dag)
> protect=0

ahm, yes, of course, I typed that from memory, just a typo.

> Also ... did you remember to add plugins=1 to your /etc/yum.conf file.

It's all okay, protectbase *does* work, (proven by the fact that the
rpmforge clam package - 0.88.2 - doesn't try to upgrade the kbs-extras
package - 0.88.1 - ) but not in this case! It seems the replace/obsoletes
or whatever is in the rpmforge package overrides the protect. And even if
it didn't work it wouldn't explain the difference between check-update and
update. That should always be the same. If yum shows something different
when doing check-update than what it is then actually going to do I can't
rely on check-update (and protect in this case).
Anyone has clam from kbs-extras installed and not yet upgraded?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany