[CentOS] Protectbase Plugin not working?

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sat May 6 19:44:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 09:26 -1000, Camron W. Fox wrote:
> Alle,
>
> 	I have installed and enabled (I think) the yum protectbase plugin:
>
> [cwfox at lurker ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i protectbase
> yum-plugin-protectbase-1.1-1.c4
> [cwfox at lurker ~]$ cat /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/protectbase.conf
> [main]
> enabled = 1
> [cwfox at lurker ~]$ grep plugin /etc/yum.conf
> plugins=1
> [cwfox at lurker ~]$ cat /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo
> <SNIP>
> [base]
> name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
> mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
> #baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-centos4
> protect=1
> </SNIP>

First, do you have the protect=? in the repo entry for dag (or,
preferably, rpmforge that should be used)? IIRC, the docs say that a
protect is needed for all? Protected ones have "1" and unprotected have
0? I don't recall if they said a default was assumed if the protect
statement wqas not found.

> 	However, when I do yum check-update as in the following example, there
> are zero package exclusions and the Dag repo package for rsync (which is
> a CentOS base package, I believe) is listed:
>
> [cwfox at lurker ~]$ sudo yum check-update --enablerepo=dag rsync
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> 0 packages excluded due to repository protections
>
> rsync.i386                               2.6.8-1.el4.rf         dag
> [cwfox at lurker ~]$ rpm -qi rsync
> Name        : rsync                        Relocations: /usr
> Version     : 2.6.3                             Vendor: CentOS
> Release     : 1                             Build Date: Mon Feb 21
> 07:16:46 2005
> Install Date: Wed Aug 10 14:28:27 2005      Build Host: guru.build.karan.org
> Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
> rsync-2.6.3-1.src.rpm
> Size        : 262544                           License: GPL
> Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat Feb 26 11:37:08 2005, Key ID a53d0bab443e1821
> Packager    : Karanbir Singh <kbsingh at centos.org>
> Summary     : A program for synchronizing files over a network.
>

> 	Shouldn't this package from the Dag repository be on the exclusion list
> or am I misunderstanding the way protectbase is supposed to work?

There is a thread posted in the last few days complaining that check-
update does not give the same results as a real yum up date run. Maybe
that is your problem here too?

Do yum update and reply 'n' if it is not your problem and the update
won't happen.

> Best Regards,
> Camron

HTH