[CentOS] Protectbase Plugin not working?

Daniel de Kok danieldk at pobox.com
Sat May 6 22:14:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, 6 May 2006, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> No protect line means protect=1 !

Are you sure about that? protectbase.py says:

---
conduit.registerOpt('protect', PLUG_OPT_BOOL, PLUG_OPT_WHERE_REPO, False)
---

So, if the 'protect' option is not set, it the default value is false.
This this also confirms how protectbase works in real-life on my machines.

> You can't do this easily with protectbase. Any protected repo can
> overwrite other protected repos. So you should set 1 only for repos that
> have a minimal chance over overlap (f.i. KBS-Extras does not overlap with
> CentOS).

Another useful approach is to disable a risky repository completely, and
allow installation/updates of select packages with the "includepkgs"
setting.

> I set base and update plus kbs-extras to protect=1, all the rest
> to 0. It would indeed be nice to have more protection levels (10 can
> overwrite 9, 9 can overwrite 8 and so on ...) instead of just yes and no.

That would be nifty :).

-- Daniel