[CentOS] Troubleshooting "too many open files'

Barry Brimer barry.brimer at bigfoot.com
Sun May 7 14:25:50 UTC 2006

> Besides file-max and file-nr is there anywhere else I
> should be looking to solve a C program giving me 'too
> many open files' problem? (centos 3.4)

If the program is running as a non-root user, you will need to grant the
user in question a limit higher than 1024 by adding a "nofile"  statement
in "/etc/security/limits.conf"  Once that is done, you will need to open a
new session as that user.  You can verify that your settings took hold by
typing "ulimit -n".

HTH,
Barry