[CentOS] converting pdf files to openoffice writer files

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Fri May 12 12:04:02 UTC 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 02:59, ankush grover wrote:
> > pdf2text and then open on OpenOffice?
> > Or in some instances just try cut and paste??
>
> Hey Mr. Sudev,
>
> Thanks for your guidance. One more thing is there any pdf editor through
> which I can edit the pdf files. Through openoffice I can create files and
> export it to pdf format but is there any pdf editor available on centos or
> any other linux distro.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Ankush Grover

Reading PDF is much much harder than writing it. KOffice can read PDF files
since a while and the support has been improved quite a bit recently - still
nowhere close to the abilities of other input filters, but usually better
than raw text using pdf2txt. KOffice can then work with these files and
(again if you have a recent version) You can actually store the result in
open document format for it to be used in OpenOffice.

I would recommend compiling koffice from source if you can - or at least find
a recent version compiled by someone else for rhel. The KDE versions that
come with CentOS are fairly old.

Peter.