[CentOS] CentOS mailing list probe message (fwd)

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri May 12 23:09:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 16:19 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 16:48 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:

> > I don't even like it that your (CentOS's) monthly reminder to me is sent
> > with password unencrypted... and I am the only user here. If I could
> > post my public key and have that monthly reminder encrypted, I'd do it.
> >

> You can turn it off in your preferences for the list in mailman:
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/options/centos

I know. Just haven't gotten around to it.

> > > access to emails being sent to that address, its sort of academic
> > > getting the passwd anyway ( click on forgot passwd, new passwd emailed
> > > out ...etc )
> >
> > Well, it's too bad that we can't make all access via SS* w/no passwords
> > required. But a new one-time-only-use password (IOW, it must be changed
> > on first use and w/i a specified time interval) isn't too bad.
> >
> We didn't write mailman ... nor did we write the probe e-mail that it
> sends.

I *know* that. It was not a personal or project attack. But the answer
to my concern that was posted (it is sent to... so... <equiv to
everything's probably OK>) got one of my feet on the soap box.
:-( Didn't mean to seem critical.

All that not withstanding, I believe we can't be to relaxed about
security and even *dumb* concerns (as mine might be) are worth noting or
discussing.

> <snip sig stuff>

Thanks,
--