[CentOS] Keyboard layout switching bug: workaround?

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat May 13 06:48:21 UTC 2006

Niki Kovacs wrote:

> XKB configuration error during activation. Probably an internal X server error.

Take a look at the end of /var/log/Xorg.0.log, maybe also
/var/log/messages and see if there is any better diagnostic.  If there
isn't, try running

system-config-keyboard

from a graphical console window and see if any diagnostic can be seen
from stderr.

> When using XFCE with Slack, before the days of a keyboard switching plugin, I
> just manually defined some commands like 'setxkbmap [some options] -layout
> fr_CH', and then assigned these to some keyboard shortcuts. Is this a viable
> solution here? Or what would you recommend?

I don't have any experience, maybe someone else can recommend a way.
But the ideas above might help with a clue about the source of the problem.

-Andy