[CentOS] Thin client server setup

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat May 13 21:53:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 16:47, Mace Eliason wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of settting up a thin client server setup.
>
> I would like to set it up to work with linux and windows.
>
> I was going to use Symbiont but it says it needs a different version of
> linux to install.  Has anyone used it with Centos before?
>
> Would it be easier to just install LTSP and set it up.

Look at k12ltsp before you try anything else.  There are
versions based on both fedora and Centos (trading off the
stability of Centos vs. newer apps on fedora).  Since your
thin client desktops really run on the server you might
prefer the fedora base. http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/
They are mostly-stock distributions with ltsp and a few
other things added so if you install on a 2-nic machine
it will come up working (booting clients and acting as a
NAT gateway) and only takes a few changes to adjust for a
single nic.

> I would like to b have a small box that does the dhcp and then allows
> users to logon to windows or linux terminal servers.

You can do it by adding ltsp to an existing distro, but
it is easier with k12ltsp and everything updates together
with 'yum update'.  Plus there are lot of users to help with
any problems on the mail list.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com