[CentOS] Firefox 1.5.0.3 in CentOSPlus?

Sun May 14 11:45:10 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 05:05 -0700, Mike Stankovic wrote:
> Seeing Fedora have released 1.5.0.3 for fc5 isn't it
> time for CentOS to rebuild 1.5.0.3 for CentOSPlus or
> does the current rpm have the patches?
>
> I recall last times goof in FC5 firefox appearing in
> the CentOS one so I assume that CentOSPlus needs to
> rebuild the FC5 one again.

The last Firefox build was a Critical security update, and we were
looking to build it very fast for that reason.  As KB said, we tested
and fixed the code in question and our released version was good (and
had nothing passed through that was bad). (as KB also said, our version
was good and released properly before the upstream version)

Some people did download and inform us that our testing version had
issues (which we knew ... that's why we hadn't yet sent out a release
announcement :)

As to whether or not we will build every Firefox that fc5 releases ...
we may or may not do that.  It will depend on what they change and what
it fixes.

For the record, the Firefox from fc5 doesn't build for EL4 ... it
requires several changes to not use things like pango and cario and
other changes too.  If the change affects one of those areas, it might
not even be applicable to the version we build for CentOS-4.

So ... the short answer is that the changes may not be applicable to
CentOS, and even if they are, they may cause other issues.  Unless
someone has complained about the problems that this update addresses, or
unless we can duplicate the problems, we may not follow the fc5 tree
updates.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes