[CentOS] wireless card on amd64

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Mon May 15 14:36:15 UTC 2006

Jerry Geis wrote:
> All,
>
> Over the weekend I purchased a linksys wireless-g PCI card
> for use in my amd64 box. I downloaded ndiswrapper, compiled, installed,
> tried to load the driver off the CDROM  and it was a no-go.
>
> I have do this on another box with an amd sempron. Difference being
> 32 bit versus 64 bit...
>
> Seems there are no 64 bit drivers for the wireless card.
>
> Anyone have a wireless card working on a 64 bit machine?
> What was the card and driver?

I've been noticing this more and more as I've been playing with new
batches of 64-bit machines.  Johnny seems to have hit the nail on the
head when he mentioned something to the effect of "if you're doing
straightforward vanilla server things, x86_64 works fine."  Since I
don't have any situations (currently) where I need all the extra address
space (no big honking databases 'round here or machines with more than a
few gigs of RAM), I think I'm just going to revert to the x86 32-bit
build to keep my compatibility options open.

Did you ever get everything working satisfactorily on your athlon_64
notebook?  Did you run the 32-bit or 64-bit version of CentOS?

Cheers,