[CentOS] G4-400mhz enough for CentOS 4.3?

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Wed May 17 22:55:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 16:47 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> It's that time again.  I'm stuck with a bunch of older Powermac G4's
> that I either need to repurpose or give the heave ho.  I've not tried
> CentOS on Mac hardware before.  Would the following config be suitable
> for a (somewhat slow) workstation?

IMO, very useful. I had LFS 2.6.x kernel on a PC-Chips M-571 w/K6-III
(380MHz), 256MB, couple of ATA HDs (1 was 10K rpm Deskstar(?)), small
PCI Radeon video. Could do a complete from scratch build (utils,
toolchain, kernel, all utils, ... ) ready to start BLFS (Gnome... and
all the bells and whistles) in appx. 6 and 1/2 hours. Once I had X and
Gnome (BLFS) and all running, I was quite happy with it.

Before with same setup but w/an IBM 6x86-2 (old Cyrix-II) 300MHz, same
build was appx 10 hours.

So, a your MAC at 400MHz should do fine... at least for folks like me.

BTW, I would be willing to take some off your hands if the price is
right. I found a square foot unused in my home office that is begging to
be filled with something other than empty boxes, bits of cable, old 14"
monochrome monitors, ... even a 386SX in a micro-tower over there
somewhere. 100 mega-byte HD, IIRC.
               ^^^^

--
Bill