[CentOS] mysql : Access denied for user

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Sat May 20 17:00:43 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 12:49 -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 10:04 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > The problem is ... if you have DHCP ... you need the name of the machine
> > in the same line, as your IP address changes
> > <snip sig>
>
> [hardtolove at wlmlfs08 ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
>
> This is my workstation behind an IPCop DHCP server. I have detected no
> problesm, but I'm only running typical workstation stuff. So there may
> be some apps that don't work?
>
> This is on my IPCop firewall/gateway, which gets its IP from my cable
> co. DHCP server.
> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
> # that require network functionality will fail.
> 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> Again, no problems. But this node *only runs IPCop and associated (https
> for admin, caching DNS, ntp client and server for the rest of my net).
>
> But it appears from this and my past experience that mature applications
> in a networking env are OK. If one has no network...?
>
> I'd be glad to try a couple things, if they are not to expensive in
> terms of change or time and report back if it helps anyone.

*sigh*

I see that I really should have given a 2nd thought before hitting send.
All my nodes keep their nodenames ok. Even as IP changes. I can ref all
nodes by node name or IP equally well. Dig and nslookup act as expected.

This is a result of taking advantage of the client's ability to keep its
nodename in the configuration and that overrides my IPCop nodename that
would be generated. So, I'll post in a few more moments what my configs
look like.