[CentOS] Centos 3.6 - iscsi target issues

Bruno Sousa

bruno.sousa at first.pt
Sun May 21 10:15:09 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm running a server that needs to have a kernel 2.4.xxx.
So now I'm running a CentOS 3.6 with kernel 2.4.21-37.0.1.ELsmp.

Now, I want to make this server usable for ISCSI, so I started to install
the ISCSI target, and the problems begin.
If I try to install ISCSI version 0.4.13  from source code I got the
following error :

The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

This means that the CentOS kernel doesn't allow to insert modules? Sorry for
perhaps being a lame question, but I can , and use, insmod all the time.

Anyway, later on I found a src.rpm, so I give it a try. The file is
http://www.digicola.com/developer/iscsitarget-0.4.12-6.src.rpm , and i i try
to rebuild the rpm , with the command rpmbuild --rebuild
iscsitarget-0.4.12-6.src.rpm it gives me the following error :
error: Failed build dependencies:
        kernel-smp-devel = 2.4.21-37.0.1.EL is needed by
iscsitarget-0.4.12-6
I searched a little and I installed the kernel-devel package.but it still
doesn't work.
If anyone could point me out some way to solve this, it would be very
appreciated.

Best regards,
Bruno Sousa