[CentOS] Trying to find packages that depend on package X.

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri May 26 17:12:35 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 13:57 -0300, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 12:35:40PM -0400, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > <snip>Quick search in bout "man yum" and "man rpm" shows how to find what
> > package X depends upon, but not what depends upon package X. Of course,
> > we could get a deplist for everything but I'm *guessing* that take more
> > overhead and grep too.
> >
> > "yum remove" tells us. Then we just have to remember to say "No, don't
> > remove". Am I missing something... like I missed that big Google box on
> > the archives?
> >
> > Anyway, if I haven't overlooked something, I was thinking that this
> > might be a good enhancement request for yum's buglist. Do like remove
> > but skip making us reliably answer "no".
> >
> > OK. Did I miss something? Is this a feature that others would find
> > handy? Should I get it on a yum bug list?
>
> Just needs a little magic:
>
> rpm -q --provides PACKAGE_NAME | sed 's/^/"/;s/\([^[:space:]]\) *$/\1"/' | xargs rpm -q --whatrequires | grep -v -E '^no package'
>
> ex:
> rpm -q --provides exim | sed 's/^/"/;s/\([^[:space:]]\) *$/\1"/' | xargs rpm -q --whatrequires | grep -v -E '^no package'

LOL! Being an old CLI-oriented fart, your regex is perfectly clear to
me. But, being an old CLI-oriented fart, I am now lazy, having earned a
big rest for having learned regex et al back when there was no choice.

One nice thing about this list, a post like yours doesn't have all the
Perl folks jumping in with their "bigger/better" like they did on LFS.

In the spirit of good fun, I challenge you to enter that reliably (no
cheating and putting it into a script) after a 14 hour day of dealing
with the PHBs! =>:-O

Also, why don't you run that and do a time command and see if the
overhead is reasonable. Using cyrus-sasl should be good. I'll run a time
on a yum remove of cyrus-sasl here...

   real    0m30.548s
   user    0m13.005s
   sys     0m1.401s

This on my AMD PR-2200 Athlon 3/4 GB DDR 2700 ram. Didn't clean any
cache first, so benefited from the recent experiments some.

--
Bill