[CentOS] Centos and Software RAID

Tue May 30 13:12:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 07:55 -0500, David Thompson wrote:
> Mark Schoonover wrote:
> >Software RAID works fine, as long as there's no problems.
>
> ROTFL -- that's geek comedy at its finest...
>
> We found that the 'data protection' features of software raid1/raid5 worked,
> but typically when a drive failed, the linux kernel was unable to provide
> useful service until it was rebooted and/or the failed drive removed.  This
> was in the 2.4 days; things may be different now.
>
> We have since moved to 3ware hardware raid with better success in terms of
> continuing to provide service through a drive failure event.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that software RAID via the kernel is
better than Hardware RAID via 3ware.  At least I would not suggest
that :)

Hardware RAID is better (IMHO), but also more expensive.

Software RAID is better than no RAID, but not better than 3ware hardware
RAID.

Software RAID many times will work OK through hard drive failure.  It
has for me MOST of the time.  SATA does sometimes have an issue with
hotswap drives and software raid ... as do some SCSI drivers as well
with software RAID.

So, if you have the money to spend, buy a good 3ware card.  If you don't
have the money, consider the data and how much it would cost if you lost
it and buy a 3ware card anyway :)

If you really don't have the money to buy a 3ware card .. use software
RAID as something that is safer than no RAID at all.

That is, as always, my opinion.