[CentOS] Re: Please help! boot problem

Mon May 1 18:43:35 UTC 2006
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Mace Eliason spake the following on 5/1/2006 12:29 PM:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>> Mace Eliason spake the following on 5/1/2006 12:13 PM:
>>
>>> So from what I have read I would run grub-install /dev/sda ?
>>>
>>> I have setup the raid with
>>> /boot (100Meg)
>>> /swap (2gig)
>>> / (the rest)
>>>
>>> All 3 are mirrored.
>>>
>>> I don't want to mess this up sorry I am new to this.
>>>
>>> Mace

>> less /boot/grub/grub.conf and post please-- just to be careful.
>>
>> Okay I have booted with linux rescue and skiped the network setup, and
>> skiped the next part and gone right to the shell.
>>

> If I type grub-install it says no such file or directory.
>
> I tried less /boot/grub/grub.conf same thing.
>
> I did boot with the centos cd as if I was installing and used manual
> partion to see if the partions where still there and they are.
>
> No sure what to do now.  I will try and search for  grub-install.  I am
> assuming that I am searching the cd?
>
> Mace
You can't skip the part about mounting your existing system. You will need to
do that, and after it mounts, run chroot /mnt/sysconfig.
That should make all the commands run on YOUR files instead of the bootdisks
running system.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and