[CentOS] Hanging @ Sendmail During Boot

Tue May 2 08:25:23 UTC 2006
Paul Schoonderwoerd <paul at pollux-it.nl>

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 10:08, Andy Green wrote:
> Mark Sargent wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a coupla queries about my 2 latest installs of CentOS 4-3. When I
> > first installed and logged in as the initial user, everything went well,
> > and the system was fast. A reboot, and 2nd login gave the same. But,
> > upon connecting to the net, the system hung at sendmail for almost
> > 4mins, and then gave an error at login about not finding the host, and
> > that Gnome may not work correctly, with options of Continue or try
> > Again. After that, the system has become extensively slow. Any ideas why
> > this would be this way? This is the 2nd machine, different locations,
> > different media, that this has happened. Rather annoying. Cheers.
>
> Do the affected boxes have a proper hostname?
>
> cat /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> I seem to recall seeing that gnome complaint under such circumstances...
>
> -Andy

This sort of timeouts is usually due to nameresolution problems, either it's
own name or other names, and Sendmail relies heavily on it.
As I recall RedHat is known for not putting a proper entry for it's own name
in /etc/hosts, so check this. Also check the output of the 'hostname'
command.
Then check that the entries in /etc/resolv.conf point to the right
dns-servers, either your internal dns-server(s) or your isp's.

regards,
--
Paul Schoonderwoerd
Pollux IT - Open Source & Netwerkbeveiliging