[CentOS] Can't Access Samba Running Linux Box From XP

Wed May 3 10:57:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 20:34 +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> more info on this,
>
> #======================= Global Settings
> =====================================
> [global]
>
> # workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
>    workgroup = MSHOME   #Same as windows box
>
> # server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
>    server string = Samba Server
>
> # This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
> # connections to machines which are on your local network. The
> # following example restricts access to two C class networks and
> # the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
> # the smb.conf man page
>    hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.255.0.0   #correct subnet
>

> # The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
> # users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
> In this
> # setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
> # sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
> # as many users as required.
> ;[myshare]
>    comment = Locally shared directory, Cisco
>    path = /home/racket/downloads/cisco
>    valid users = mark anne      #user mark has ben added to Linux box
> with a password
>    public = no
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no
>    create mask = 0765
>
> Quick question; In Linux, the path has / but shoud I specify / or \ in
> the path in Map Network Drive in Windows? Also, when I first click
> Finish, I'm given a  Connect to localhost.localdomain window with,
>
> Connecting to 10.0.0.3
> Username: mark
> Password:
>
> which I then enter password, but, it fails and returns,
>
> User name: HOME-HEHBBZSUYZ\mark   #Windows box Hostname
> Password: ............
>
> Why is that? Cheers.
>
> Mark Sargent.

Lots of potential issues ...

1.  Make sure you have ports 135-139 and 445 open on any Linux firewall
to/from the windows machine.

2.  If you have winXP firewall ... make sure that it is open on those
ports as well ... or the 10.x.x.x network you are using is open.