[CentOS] yum, dag and xawtv

Thu May 4 20:12:48 UTC 2006
Steve Huff <shuff at vecna.org>

On May 4, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Max H. wrote:

> Damian Sobieralski wrote:
>> Questions:
>> 1) Is dag a good repository to get me these apps that aren't part
>> of the
>> stock CentOS repository file? If not, which one should I use? I don't
>> need bleeding edge (even two versions behind for an app would be
>> fine).
>> 2) What's up with the gpg failures? Should I be worried?
>
> To answer the first question, Dag is a wonderful Repo for locating
> just about anything extra that you could find.
>
> The second question I would have to guess is that the key isn't
> installed for the packages when you're trying to authenticate
> against the signatures.
>
> Try to import the key and re-run yum against Dag's repo.
>
> rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt
>
> Then "yum --enablerepo=dag {install,search,update,etc.} packagename

actually, you don't need to do most of this; you should be using the
RPMforge.net repo (it's a project run by Dag, Dries, and i believe
one or two other repository admins):

1) yum install yum-plugin-protectbase

2) add "plugins=1" to /etc/yum.conf

3) add "protect=1" to the "base" and "update" stanzas in /etc/
yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo

4) download and install the appropriate rpmforge-release package
(since you seem to be using CentOS4, you want the Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 4 repo):

http://rpmforge.net/user/packages/rpmforge-release/

now you have access to all of Dag's packages, plus you can install
them without worrying that they'll clobber your base packages with
dependencies.

-steve

p.s. the GPG errors are because you haven't installed Dag's GPG key.
the rpmforge-release package will do this for you.

---
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v