[CentOS] Yum Update Question

Fri May 5 16:58:35 UTC 2006
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2006, John Hinton wrote:
>

>> I have asked myself over the years... just what happens during the update
>> process? For instance, the latest updates included updates to php. I'm
>> wondering if apache is restarted or reloaded to read the new php updates?
>>
>> More broadly... if this is done, is it done pretty much for every interrelated
>> update, I guess with the exception of kernel updates?
>>

> You can inspect a package's scripts by doing:
>
> 	rpm -q --scripts php
>
> In this case (at least on rhel4as) apache is not restarted/reloaded.
>
> Kind regards,

Thanks Dag!

So, my normal routine of manually restarting Apache after PHP updates is
a good one to follow.

I do think though that this could be considered a bit of a hole. With
automatic updates being pushed to the forefront... where updates might
happen when you're not even at the machine.. one could easily miss this
sort of thing. And, as many of my systems run at least as long as it
becomes necessary to reboot due to a kernel issue that actually effects
something I'm running... it could be a long time between an update and a
service restart. This is sort of frustrating to some degree.

Now to figure out what might need to be restarted based on what is
updated each time.. not such an easy task anymore with the huge number
of packages and the interrelationships between those packages. Hmmmmm....

Thanks,
John Hinton <who is about to restart apache on all our systems>