[CentOS] Changing mount point - 4.3

Mon May 8 12:51:35 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 04:34, Tom Brown wrote:

> A box was installed with the majority of the free space in /home but i
> actually want this to be available to /opt. My fstab had /home looking
> like this
>
> LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
>
> I umounted /home and changed the fstab to look like this
>
> /dev/sda5             /opt                   ext3    defaults        1 2
>
> and then mounted /opt. All works fine. My question is, is this the
> 'correct' way to do something like this or should i stick to 'LABEL' ? I
> wonder as i'm not sure where the label tag gets set and when i see the
> box boot now it still references /home when in reality it is /opt on sda5.
>
> Is this a really bad thing to do?

The problem with /dev/sd? devices is that the are named in
the order detected at boot time so they may change if you
add or remove disks or controllers.   The problem with
labels is that if you add a disk to a machine that happens
to have a duplicate label the system will be confused and
may not boot.  I prefer to use the partition names because
the behavior is more predictable when you move disks around
between different machines.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com