[CentOS] Centos and Dual Core Opteron in a Tyan Mobo

Sun May 14 11:25:47 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 08:56 -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
> Scott, The system will handle the load of 30 call center agents and go
> up all they way to 200 agents talking simultaneously. It must also
> record the phone conversations of every and all agents/calls. So
> transcoding and/or I/O bottlenecks are an issue.
> That's why might seem overkill.
>
> we will definitely recompile asterisk in that box. we will not run the
> bianries. However when you say compatibilities, you mean development
> tools? the compiler? sendmail? apache?

If you are going to compile items on an x86_64 box using the CentOS
x86_64 arch, there are gotchas introduced by multiple libraries.

What you want to make sure you have is a pure x86_64 build environment
to build all x86_64 files.

You may need these 2 files that are i[3,4,5,6]86 (and only these x86
files ... any others can produce badly built binaries).

glibc.i686
glibc-devel.i386

What this means is, you can't run i386 items (like Open Office) on your
x86_64 machine that you want to use for building packages.

As far as all the built in server services, everything on x86_64 from a
server perspective works fine (sendmail, apache, gcc, rpm-build,
etc.) ... it is the mixing of shared libraries that will cause you
problems if you want to build.