[CentOS] Basic SAMBA setup

Mon May 15 16:02:15 UTC 2006
William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>

you have to create a samba user account that matches the user account of
the client machine..:)

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to setup a simple SAMBA file server, in its most simple configuration
> first, and then fine-tune that gradually. I've never worked with SAMBA before,
> so I based myself on Carla Schroder's "Linux Cookbook", chapter XX: SAMBA.
>
> Here's what I did, following the step-by-step instructions and reading the
> explanations as to what-does-what:
>
> # mkdir -m 777 /shares
>
> Rename /etc/samba/smb.conf to something else (old.sambaconfig) and then edit a
> new smb.conf from scratch, which looks like this:
>
> --8<--------------------
> [global]
>   workgroup = workgroup
>   netbios name = windbag
>   server string = Anonymous local file server
>   security = share
>   browseable = yes
>   hosts allow = 192.168.1.
>
> [share1]
>   path = /shares
>   comment = Test files
>   read only = No
>   guest ok = Yes
> --8<---------------------
>
> I tested this configuration with testparm, and it looked OK.
>
> Next I restarted SAMBA (service smb restart) and checked the status (service smb
> status).
>
> After this I tried (on the same machine) to connect to my file server:
>
> $ smbclient -L windbag
>
> But there I got a "Failed to connect".
>
> Now what?
>
> Niki Kovacs

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099