[CentOS] problems with kickstart %post and python/snack gui

Wed May 17 07:05:37 UTC 2006
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 15:04 -0400, Brian Gehrich wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to migrate from Fedora Core 4 to a more stable linux deployment
> of Centos 4.3.  I'm using kickstart to do an automated installation of
> minimal packages and then doing configuration in the %post section.  I do
> this by calling serveral custom system-config-local-* scripts that I have
> written along with system-config-network-tui (aka netconfig).
>
> The problem that I am having is that these scripts display properly, but
> do not accept input from the console.  When anything is typed, it goes
> directly to the screen (including escape characters for arrows, escape,
> etc...).  I've tried both a minimal installation and a "everything"
> installation and the results are the same.  If I run the same command
> chrooted to /mnt/sysimage from the tty1 shell it works properly.
>
> Here are the relevant sections of my kickstart config...
>
>   %post
>   set -x
>   ## post install script ##
>
>   ## setup the environment ##
>   export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>   export LC_ALL=C
>   export TERM=linux
>
>   ## switch to tty3 ##
>   /usr/bin/chvt 3
>   exec < /dev/tty3 > /dev/tty3
>
>   ## configure network on eth0 ##
>   /usr/sbin/netconfig
>
>   ## switch back to tty1 ##
>   /usr/bin/chvt 1
>
>   ## end post install script ##
>

> Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.
> FYI, this works fine on Fedora Core 4...
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Hi Brian,

I've never tried to launch an 'interactive' config tool in the %post
section (kickstart for me means unattended ...  :o) )
If you've just to customize your hostname and your network config, why
not just issue touch /.unconfigured at the end of the post install
script and on the first boot, you'll have the netconfig tool
automatically started ...
That's what i'm using to deploy several machines through kickstart (even
if my %post section contains a lot of default parameters ...)

Hope this can help you.