[CentOS] G4-400mhz enough for CentOS 4.3?

Wed May 17 21:12:15 UTC 2006
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Wed, 17 May 2006, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> It's that time again.  I'm stuck with a bunch of older Powermac G4's
> that I either need to repurpose or give the heave ho.  I've not
> tried CentOS on Mac hardware before.  Would the following config be
> suitable for a (somewhat slow) workstation?
>
> PowerMac G4
> 400mhz
> 256mb RAM
> 40gig ATA disk
> Some sort of dual-head ATI video setup with 64mb VRAM (I've
> forgotten which cards they are)

I once installed CentOS/PPC on an aluminum PowerBook G4. It took some
doing, but once everything was in place there were only two obvious
shortcomings: power management was largely nonexistent and wireless
didn't work. Otherwise, it was fine.

I suspect that, speed aside, your PowerMac will perform just fine. If
you plan to run X, extra RAM would probably be a nice addition.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com