[CentOS] mysql : Access denied for user

Sat May 20 08:13:03 UTC 2006
Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com>

kenkensmile at netscape.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having a problem with mysql. I set up root password
>
> set password for root at localhost=password('xxxxxxxxx');
> set password for root@'xxx.yyyy.com'=password('yyyyyyyy');

Mysql passwords are a mantrap pit full of sharpened stakes and lizards.

I don't claim to understand the system, but I have three pieces of
advice that get me out of the deathpit:

  - you MUST do

flush privileges;

after messing with the privs or your messing is ignored until you
restart mysqld.

  - There are two kinds of password hashes in use, and they are
incompatible!!!  IIRC password() makes the new kind and OLD_PASSWORD()
makes the older kind.  Depending on the age of the client you are using
to connect, it will hash your password one way or the other.

  - The privilege tables are done as database tables.

use mysql;
show tables;

will get you started.  God help me I found it easier to mess with the
privilege tables directly -- don't forget the flush -- than use the sql
syntax.

Oh one more ... tables themselves have privileges separate from the
general login, but I don't think that's the problem here from the error.

-Andy