[CentOS] Centos 4.3 and Card Reader

Sat May 20 09:48:09 UTC 2006
J.J.Garcia <stigmatedbrain at gmail.com>

Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 07:47:02AM +0200, J.J.Garcia enlightened us:
>
>>Ralph Alvy wrote:
>>
>>>CentOS 4.3 (fully updated, including CentOS Plus kernel).
>>>
>>>Running KDE 3.5.2 (fully updated from redhat.kde repo).
>>>
>>>I can't seem to get the OS to recognize my SD card when inserted into my USB
>>>card reader. Mepis 6 Beta 3 has no problem with it. DMESG sees nothing
>>>happening when the card is inserted. USB-STORAGE module is loaded.
>>>

>>Hi all folks,
>>
>>It's strange for me too, i have the same issue on the card reader except than i
>>have two different photo cam and i'm able to read the CF card (i.e. Kingston
>>Compact Flash CF 512) but not the SD one's (i.e. PNY 256 MB SD) in the same card
>>reader. No dmesg info about it and no log reacts when the SD is inserted.
>>
>>Here is the info i can provide btw, feel free to suggest me for more:
>>
>>USB Mass Storage device found at 5
>>scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>>  Vendor: TEAC      Model: USB   HS-CF Card  Rev: 4.00
>>  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>>Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
>>

> It is only using LUN 0. See my previous post with a link on how to scan more
> LUNs, and I bet your other media "slots" will show up.
>
> Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the hints,

I think you meant the link pointing to:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=11193&topic_id=3901

I did it mainly putting it as option in /boot/grub/grub.conf as you can see:

[root at sparkbox log]# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf | grep lun
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-34.ELsmp ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
selinux=0 vga=0x031a max_luns=32
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-34.EL ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 selinux=0
vga=0x031a max_luns=32

Rebooted and the same as previously noted.

Could be something related to hald/hotplug? Should i increase the max_luns value?

It's a usb card reader as you can see:

[root at sparkbox log]# lsusb | grep TEAC
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0644:0200 TEAC Corp.

I have to say that i have another host with the same problem with a different
card reader.

Thanks again for your hints,

Jose.