[CentOS] System freeze on laptop: power saving daemon doing harm?

Mon May 22 19:41:33 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 13:41 +0200, Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have CentOS 4.3 installed on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D laptop
> (Pentium IV 2.4 GHz CPU). Everything runs just fine, but I have one
> problem. When I leave the machine unattended for something like an hour
> or two, my desktop has "frozen". Unable to recovery anything, even
> [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Backspace] refuses to quit X, so I have to hard-reboot
> by pressing PowerOn/Off for 10 seconds.
>
> First thing I did after install, I deactivated the XScreensaver because
> it kept asking me for a password everytime I stopped typing for 5
> minutes.

This should be OK for you to activate when your other problem is solved.
You can easily configure this to not ask for a password. I have two
logins on one of my nodes. One requires password, the other does not.

Top menu bar: Application -> Preferences -> Screensaver

Make sure "Lock Screen" check box is *unchecked*.

> There must be some other power-saving daemon there that makes the mess,
> but I don't know much about these. I've heard somewhere that ACPI can
> cause system crashes... but I don't know where to even start to look.
>
> As far as I reckon, I have an ACPI daemon running, a thing called
> 'irqbalance' (that produces a nice red 'FAILED' on every shutdown) and
> also lm_sensors.
>
> Any suggestions?

Can't help with the other problems. But I've seen guys post who seem
knowledgeable. Hopefully, they get back to you soon.

--
Bill