[CentOS] CentOS 4 and laptop and wifi works

Thu May 25 15:20:09 UTC 2006
Max H. <btmanmeh at verizon.net>

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> Anything without an Atheros based Wifi. Mine is Intel IPW2200, and works
> nicely. Everyone I know with atheros based is having problems.

I have an IBM Thinkpad R40 with an Atheros based wifi chipset, running
on CentOS 4.3 (it's been running on it since 4.0) without any problems.
I have to load the driver set from a seperate RPM, though.

<http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/madwifi/>

Without loading the Madwifi drivers, however, I was never able to get
CentOS to see my wireless. The only annoyance I have is every kernel
update, I have to update the RPM. But if that's all it takes to have it
working, I'm not going to complain.

Max