[CentOS] CentOS 4 and laptop and wifi works

Thu May 25 16:06:32 UTC 2006
Max H. <btmanmeh at verizon.net>

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> Can you give us the data on your chipset, for reference ?

Sure...output is at the bottom.

Every now and again my connection dies, but it's few and far between. It
seems to be more when I have the connection up for days on end. It's not
the actual hardware dying though, because I just do an ifdown ath0, and
then ifup ath0 and it comes back up fine. This leads me to believe it's
not refreshing the DHCP lease through my wireless router instead of the
actual hardware dying. My Linksys router is known to have a few bugs for
it's particular version, so I assume this to be the issue.

I also get an error when bringing up the interface, but from what I read
it's an error that can be ignored. Hope this helps you guys. The error is:

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device ath0 ; Invalid argument.

lspci -vv outputs:

02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5211
802.11ab NIC (rev 01)
         Subsystem: Unknown device 17ab:8310
         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B+

lspci -n outputs:

02:02.0 Class 0200: 168c:0012 (rev 01)

Max