[CentOS] Sendmail burst of "rejecting connections" - why?

Fri May 26 12:47:53 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 06:15, Steve Snyder wrote:
> What's the reason for the burst of sendmail complaints below?

> I've looked through the other logs hoping that some other activity would
> be seen at this time as well.  Nothing.  the surrounding entries in
> /var/log/maillog are perfectly reasonable.  As far as I can tell this
> 14-minute burst of sendmail activity exists in isolation.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reason for these log entries?
>
> Thanks.

> May 25 07:09:24 server sendmail[2942]: rejecting connections on daemon MTA: load average: 24

This doesn't mean sendmail is busy, it means sendmail has noticed
that the machine is busy doing other things and since mail
will be queued and retried, it stops processing any until
the load goes down.   You might check your cron entries to
see if anything else is started around the time in question
to explain the load - or it could have been programs you
were running at the console.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com