[CentOS] Suggestions on initial CentOS 4.3 Install packages

Fri May 26 12:51:43 UTC 2006
Mike Stankovic <mlists2006 at yahoo.com>

--- "Phillips, Tod" <TPhillips at douglasfurniture.com>
wrote:

> Hello, all...
>
> I'm attempting to learn Linux (on a CentOS setup) by
> doing something
> productive at the same time. I've already installed
> it twice...once with
> a "full, just install everything" setup and another
> by following the
> Perfect CentOS 4.3 Web Server Setup instructions on
> HowToForge.com.
> Though I've had issues with both, I have a lot of
> patience and time is
> not a big concern.
>
> What I'd like to do is get some advice from the
> community on a good
> initial setup for my system by listing out some of
> the things I hope to
> do:
>
> 1) Set up a test Web Server for development of a
> soon-to-be-deployed
> rework of a client's website (I'll host the
> production site w/ an
> outside company).
>
> 2) I'd like to learn PHP and Apache while I'm
> reworking the site.
>
> 3) Learn all there is to know (ok, maybe just enough
> to not be
> dangerous) about securing the server.
>
> 4) Develop a program, most likely in C/C++, that can
> talk with my
> Company's mainframe and its communications software,
> either through web
> services/xml interfaces or directly through some
> sort of COM / .NET
> equivalent. The end result would be an application
> that can run on any
> Linux box with an Internet connection, giving users
> the ability to
> access and modify mainframe data, enter orders, etc.
>
> 5) Be able to retrieve email, surf the net, write
> and read documents
> (general office stuff) to become both more familiar
> with Linux apps AND
> to keep from needing to run to a different PC for
> these needs when they
> arise.
>
> I know I'll need the X Windows and Gnome stuff, but
> I'm concerned about
> dependencies and/or conflicts between the packages
> necessary for
> everything I want to do. I certainly want to use the
> Terminal prompts
> whenever possible -- particularly for setting up the
> networking and
> Apache server -- so that I can begin to learn
> Linux/Unix.
>
> The question really becomes: Can I do it all on one
> box or am I going to
> create a nightmare for myself because of overlapping
> programs that
> "hijack" critical functions from the web server, or
> vice-versa? I erased
> my original install (with everything) because it
> seemed more important
> to me to learn what it was I needed and install it
> manually later on if
> and when the need arose. Good thinking or...?
>
> Your thoughts are greatly appreciated,

At a minimum I would suggest you have 2 boxes assuming
your company/you can afford it.

Box 1
- Do a workstation install
- Install things needed for your desktop environment
like "GNOME Desktop Environment"
- Installing a GIU and production webserver on the
same machine will degrade its performance.
- Yum update (very important)
- Enjoy!

Box 2
- No X is to be installed
- Do a server install/get the SERVERCD if and when it
becomes available. I haven't seen the contents of the
said SERVERCD so I can only guess. Alternatively
installing CD1 and unselecting all options will give
you a barebones install.
- you can then groupinstall "Web Server" "MySQL
Database". See man yum.
- Yum update (very important)
- Enjoy!

What issues did you have with the "CentOS 4.3 Perfect
Setup"? You can post your comments at the tutorial
site so that the author takes account your experience/setbacks.