[CentOS] Do I need large Cyrus DB files?

Fri May 26 13:26:21 UTC 2006
William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com>

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 09:08 -0400, Steve Snyder wrote:
> While investigating my earlier Sendmail confusion I noticed these files:
>
> # ll /var/lib/imap/db/
> total 15952
> -rw-------  1 cyrus mail    16384 Jan 22 04:02 __db.001
> -rw-------  1 cyrus mail   663552 Jan 22 04:02 __db.002
> -rw-------  1 cyrus mail    98304 Jan 22 04:02 __db.003
> -rw-------  1 cyrus mail 22568960 Jan 22 04:02 __db.004
> -rw-------  1 cyrus mail    32768 Jan 22 04:02 __db.005
> -rw-------  1 cyrus mail       64 Jan 22 04:02 log.0000000001
>
> The date/time stamps suggest that these files were create by a cron job
> the day after I installed CentOS v4.2 and have not been modified since.
>
> I haven't done any explicit Cyrus configuration, and actually I don't have
> a clear idea of what mail-related functionality Cyrus actually provides.
> If it is in use at all on my system it is done as some aspect of the
> default CentOS4 installation.  Those __db files are not owned by any RPM
> package, although the /var/lib/imap/db/ is owned by the cyrus-imapd
> package.
>
> Do I really need a 22MB empty database file on my system?

I've got 'em too! And I just do evolution/thunderbird pop3 only. Must be
needed... until we discover them. Thanks, I had not! :-)

I'm gonna move the directory away and see what happens.

--
Bill