[CentOS] Centos and Software RAID

Fri May 26 21:08:01 UTC 2006
Mark Schoonover <schoon at amgt.com>

Erick Perez <mailto:eaperezh at gmail.com> tapped at Friday, May 26, 2006 1:57
PM:

> I purchased an Intel D945GNT motherboard and it comes in the BIOS with
> an option to create a RAID 0 or RAID 1 volumes using my existing two
> SATA disks. However when installing Centos 4.3 x86_64 I see the the
> installer recognices the two drives and does not "see" the RAID 0.
> Is that ok?
> Should I disable the RAID in the BIOS and then go for a LVM+RAID 0
> setup in the installer ?
> Since it will be a server machine I want to gain the performance of
> RAID 0 without too much complications (i will use ext3 instead of
> ReiseFS)
>
> Thanks,

Erick,

	I ran into the same problem with my Dell system that had onboard
SATA raid. I couldn't get it to work without seeing both SATA drives as
individual drives. What I did instead was to use a 3Ware card to mirror the
drives. I'm just not a big fan of SW raid, so I go hardware when I can. So
far, all I have is the basic CentOS installed, this is my first time using
CentOS since RH 7.3 days.

HTH

Mark