[CentOS] gnome 2.12 via yum?

Sat May 27 12:16:16 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 00:34 -0400, Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     I was asked a question regarding centos that i do not know the answer. I
> don't use gnome or x on any box i deploy for production use so haven't
> checked in to this. CentOS4 comes with gnome 2.8 from what i was told, the
> question is is it possible to do an update rpmwise to gnome 2.12 via yum? If
> so, what repositories do i need to enable to pull this off and what if any
> lookouts should i be aware of?
> Thanks.
> Dave.

The real answer to your question is no ...

<OPINION>
If you add the lastest KDE via the kde-redhat project to centos-4 ....
or if there were a project that offered to upgrade gnome from 2.8 to
another version (say 2.12) .... then you are no longer using centos.

You would have a hodgepodge of programs that are not really enterprise
stable, nor really designed to work together.  Not that there is
anything wrong with that, and Rex does a great job w/ the kde-redhat
project ... it is just not that stable on top of CentOS ... and it
changes things that are very enterprise important, like samba, etc.

Much better instead would be to use a distro that is designed with the
newer system (like FC5).  It would be much more stable (I would think)
than bolting on stuff to CentOS-4 which is not designed to run there.
</OPINION>