[CentOS] CentOS on Dell Inspiron 640m laptop

Ben

shadroth at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 02:44:07 UTC 2006

On 11/1/06, techlists at comcast.net <techlists at comcast.net> wrote:
> I ordered and just received today a new Dell Inspiron 640m laptop (it also goes by the name E1405).
>
> Anyone tried installing CentOS on this laptop? It's the wireless drivers I'm most concerned about; it's got the Dell 1390 internal wireless card (not the Intel wireless).

Sorry, I can't help with CentOS, or the Dell wireless, but I have
openSUSE running really well on this laptop, so there should be a
solution to most problems. I couldn't get the resolution, sound, or
wireless working under Fedora, but openSUSE picked them up without any
dramas (just had to install the ipw3945 package).

The Kernel planned for openSUSE 10.2 will support the card reader, (I
think you need at least 2.6.17), so if you want this feature, then
bear in mind you'll need a linux with a fairly frequent release cycle.

The modem will require a pay for linuxant driver to get full speed.

I haven't got s2ram working. I think it has something to do with the
SATA hard drive...

> Anyone have some feedback, on the wireless or any other issues, on running CentOS on this laptop?

Sorry that isn't more CentOS specific.

My results were:

Kubuntu 6.06 LTS: hung during setup, couldn't even start the live DVD
Fedora Core 5: no wireless, resolution not supported, no audio,
wouldn't come back to life if I closed the screen and opened it again.
openSUSE 10.1: almost everything working.

Ben