[CentOS] 4.4 versas AS and ES

Gregory P. Ennis

PoMec at PoMec.Net
Wed Nov 1 21:32:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 06:08 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 22:46 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > Barry and Craig,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your answers.  This helps a lot.  Is there anything that RH 4
> > > ES or AS can do that Centos 4.4 is unable to perform.  Then it looks
> > > like Centos is just as stable as ES or AS, and the support will probably
> > > be better on this list than calling RH.
> > >
> > > I was considering migrating an application from SCO to RedHat, and now
> > > it looks like Centos would even be better.
> > ----
> > Red Hat is selling a service level agreement. CentOS is user supported.
> >
> > You have to draw your own conclusions as to the value of a Red Hat SLA.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Also,
>
> I would point out that RH has the RHN ... which will allow you to
> register machines and push configurations or updates to specific
> machines via that interface.
>
> CentOS does not have a server register mechanism that pushes updates and
> all updates are pull to the client.  CentOS uses either yum or up2date
> (run on the client) to pull updates from our mirrors (or from a local
> mirror if you configure it that way).
>
> Most users use up2date on RHEL (which is pull as well), so this is not
> really a major issue, however centrally controlled push updates is
> another benefit of an RHEL subscription.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes
> CentOS-4 Lead Developer

Everyone,

Thanks again for your response.  In regards to RH support it has been
very good, but the user support I have received on the Fedora list and
what will be present on this list has been even better.

The yum updates on individual machines will be very satisfactory for
us.

I am continuing my testing of CentOS and everything is going better than
I expected.

Greg