[CentOS] DROP MSN MESSENGER by IPTABLES- CENTOS 4

Charles Lacroix clacroix at cegep-ste-foy.qc.ca
Fri Nov 3 13:35:45 UTC 2006

won't that iptables command block some legit traffic ? like a google search or
something ?

I remember blocking msn messenger with iptables and squid proxy, it was
reliable but kinda heavy if you want to run only a firewall.

Recompiling a kernel once is alright but if you have to do it on every update
it can get time consuming :)

anyways good luck.

On Friday 03 November 2006 06:37, Adriano Frare wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I installed CENTOS 4.4 on server.
>
> I need DROP MSN Messenger using IPTABLES,  I created the rule below.
>
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp -m string --string "x-msn-messenger" -j DROP
>

> But, When I run IPTABLES, I have received follow error:
>
> DROP -> MSN Messenger
> iptables v1.2.11: Couldn't load match
> `string':/lib/iptables/libipt_string.so: cannot open shared object file:
> No such file or directory
>

> Where DO I find library libipt_string ?
>

> Thanks for help.
>

> Adriano Frare

Charles Lacroix, Administrateur UNIX.
Service des télécommunications et des technologies
Cégep de Sainte-Foy
(418) 659-6600 # 4266