[CentOS] Strange yum behavior

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 05:43:13 UTC 2006

> 'yum search R' returns an impossibly-long list.  So I tried 'yum
> search R.x86_64' and 'yum search R-2.3.0' and few others to no
> avail.  (Google revealed that R package does exist in kbsingh
> repository.)  However, 'yum install R' did offer to install the
> correct package.
>
> Can someone enlighten me as to why did the searches failed or
> generated a hugh list of alternatives, while the install hit
> right on the mark?

I believe it's because 'yum search' is not case sensitive and so will
return most things with 'r' in them or the description of them. This
question is probably best suited for the yum mailing list instead, but
I'm fairly sure that's the cause. It would be akin to searching for
the letter 'a' in this email, when you really mean the word 'a'.

George Orwell