[CentOS] Re: Java JDK on CentOS 4.4

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Thu Nov 16 03:10:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 07:43:04PM -0500, Edward Diener enlightened us:
> Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:
> >we have been using the 64-bit and 32-bit java 1.4 and 1.5 .bin
> >installers on Centos 4.3, 4.4 with very much success, so if you are
> >looking to get the Java capabilities you might not need to search for an
> >RPM per se.
> >
> >We keep a very bare machine (no centos java package, etc.) and have a
> >whole step-by-step recipe for getting all the usual java webapps working
> >with very little hassle...
> >

> Is there any particular procedure for installing the Java 1,5 on Sun's
> site to CentOS 4.4 ? I see a Jpackage package called
> Java-1.5.0-sun-compat but I have no idea what this is or how it is
> supposed to be used.
>
> Setting up Sun's Java latest 1.5.0 JDK on "that other OS whose name
> shall not be mentioned" is a no-brainer so it is a bit disappointing
> that it is more complicated on CentOS 4.4. But maybe it is really as
> easy as downloading the appropriate file from Sun's site and installing
> it and I am overestimating any other issues.

Using the binary installer will work, however what the jpackage.org stuff
does is create all the appropriate links (mostly for /etc/alternatives) so
that /usr/bin/java is the right thing.

If you had read the Installation Instructions on the web site (right next to
the big red blinking "READ!"), you would see that installing sun-java-compat
along side the rpm from Sun's website would get you a working java
installation.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak