[CentOS] About download ISO image, again

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 03:32:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 20:10, Stephen Liu wrote:

> > I'd expect in most situations someone who needs a server
> > installed would already have one or more workstations
> > available.  If it isn't close (or a laptop), you can
> > always use the vnc vncconnect=xxxx options for the install
> > to do it from where you have access to your usual tools.
>
> I never did it before.  I'll try.
>

> Followings are documents found with googling.
>
> Upgrading to CentOS4, over a remote vnc connection
> http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2005/06/15/upgrading_to_centos4_over_a_remo$
>
> VNC guide
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/VNCGuide.html
>
> Geordie's VNC Guide.
> http://www.nelliott.demon.co.uk/distributed/vnc.html
>
> Which of them is appropriate?  OR there are more relevant documents?

It's not that complicated.  The
http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2005/06/15/upgrading_to_centos4_over_a_remote_vnc_c
involves network booting for a scenario where you have no local
access.  When you can boot from CD, all you have to do is
type
linux vnc vncconnect=ip_address
at the boot prompt of the install CD.  I usually add 'askmethod'
also and choose NFS as the install method later to avoid having
to swap CD's.

> My desktop here is not running CentOS.  I'll install an additional NIC
> on the server and connect it to the desktop with a CAT-5 cable because
> I have neither router nor switch/hub.  Or any other suggestion?

You probably won't have DHCP in this scenario so you'll
have to answer enough at the server to get the IP address
set up, then it will connect to the other screen which you
left in 'vncviewer --listen' mode (other platforms have a
similar mode).   In some scenarios you could go back to your
desk for the rest of the install instead of standing by the
server rack.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com