[CentOS] Re: IPTables Blocking Brute Forcers

Steve Snyder swsnyder at insightbb.com
Thu Nov 16 18:36:50 UTC 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 12:10 pm, Brian Marshall wrote:
[snip]
> Does anyone have suggestions on how I can script IPTables or put some
> other security measure in place that could detect brute-forcing and
> reject from their IP?

You can use IPTables to limit the rate of connections.  I allow only 2
connections from a given IP address within each 3 minute period.

That allows for a quick retry when I mis-type the password, but makes for
a very sloooooooow brute force attack.  Most script kiddies aren't
willing to put in that kind of time on a single target.  I hardly ever
see more than 2 attempts to crack my box now.