[CentOS] using remote vnc on centos 4.4

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 23:40:25 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 16:00 -0500, Brett Serkez wrote:
> > Is there a method so on a remote vnc connection
> > the screen is not being shown to those where the monitor is located.
> >
> > If I am remoting in I dont even want the screen that is blank due to
> > screen saver, to even show anything. remote does not need the
> > screen at all in my case.
> >
> > Is there a way to do that?
>
> Yes, just run the vncserver service, it will create 'virtual' vnc
> desktops for you.  You can create as many as the resources of the
> system will support.  You'll need to read the documentation, I believe
> their is a configuration file something like:  /etc/vncserver.conf.

There are actually 3 different ways to set up vnc servers.  One  is
to add the module to your xorg.conf file to export the console screen.
This is handy to reconnect remotely to long-running programs you started
at your desktop but I don't think there is any to force the local
screen not to display.  Another is to run individually started
'vncserver' sessions which have no connection to a real display,
permit reconnection from vncviewers and run until you stop them.
The 3rd is to set up xinetd to start new connections on demand
and kill them when you disconnect.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com