[CentOS] RAID 1 not boot when disconnect a disk

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Nov 24 17:53:46 UTC 2006

Quoting Roberto Pereyra <pereyra.roberto at gmail.com>:

> Hi
>
> I have a clean CentOS 4.4 disk and I have setup a RAID 1 with two  IDE disk.
>
> The system RAID 1  boot fine  but when I disconnect a disk (the first
> disk) the system not boot. The screen goes black and not boot anything
> (grub not boot).

Where is the Grub installed?  MBR or partition?

If you've setup RAID-1 during installation, Anaconda should have
installed it in partition, which would mean that it got automatically
mirrored to second drive.  If this is the case, most likely your BIOS
is refusing to boot from second drive.  Also check that partition that
holds /boot (usually first partition on the disk) is marked as
bootable (use fdisk).

If you've installed on single drive, and setup RAID-1 after
intallation manually chances are Grub is installed in MBR of first
drive (Anaconda defaults to install Grub into MBR when installing on
single drive).  If that is the case, than it won't be automagically
mirrored to second drive.  You'll have to install it into second
drive's MBR by hand, for example:

http://www.8-p.ca/archives/3-Grub-and-RAID-1.html